Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Thing 12: CC

I have actually never looked at Creative Commons through career as a teacher. I often talk about using others' work whether it's words, art, or music, but have never explored this before. Going through the research process right now with my freshman has been another eye-opening experience. Alicia mentioned the difference between the way my students look for and find information as compared to how we did in high school (which wasn't THAT long ago). They have so much information at their fingertips and more than half of comes from unknown sources. Not only do they not give credit where credit is due, the majority of them don't know they're even supposed to.
I'm trying to get it across to my students that credit needs to be given, and this would be a useful tool to help me in the goal. This site gives them a lot of choices for a variety of media and it's better than just posting some random piece of clip art from Word or even some picture they've found on Google Images.
I can't only point my finger at my students. When I do PowerPoints or even add pictures to handouts, I rarely bother to give credit for the source.
I can see how this can be used with student projects. This might hit home the fact that anyone searching online can find things that they might not want public. I have a wiki that I was torn about making public. I opened the discussion up to my students and they didn't want other people to see their work, but when they search for work, giving credit isn't an issue. ???

No comments:

Post a Comment